Onion Thyme Quiche
The Versatile Dish For Many Occasions
If you're planning a leisurely weekend brunch or hosting a book club afternoon, our Onion Thyme Quiche Recipe is the versatile dish you've been searching for. This quiche is an instant crowd-pleaser with a balance of savoury flavours with a hint of sweetness. Crafted with love and local ingredients, it embodies the essence of culinary artistry.
A Slice of European History
Quiche, a traditional French dish, has a rich history dating back to the medieval German kingdom of Lothringen, which was later annexed by France. The word "quiche" is derived from the German word "kuchen," meaning cake. Over time, quiche became a staple of French cuisine, cherished worldwide for its versatility and ability to marry various flavours. Once you've learned the method, the inclusions and flavour combinations are endless.
Recipe: Onion Thyme Quiche - Serves 6-8
Adapting to Your Preferences:
Adapting this classic dish to different dietary preferences is easy. For a gluten-free version, substitute the pie crust with your favourite gluten-free recipe or store-bought crust and ensure all other ingredients are gluten-free. For a vegan option, use a plant-based pie crust, vegan butter, egg substitutes like silken tofu or chickpea flour and water, and suitable vegan cheese and soy, oat, or cashew-based cream. With these simple adjustments, everyone can enjoy this delightful quiche.
For the Crust:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup Tenderflake shortening
- 1⁄2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp ice-cold water
For the Filling:
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 2 tsp Herbs de Provence
- 3 Tbsp SaltSpring Kitchen Co. Onion & Thyme Savoury Spread
- 5 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup cream
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded Gruyere, reserved
Crafting the Perfect Pie Crust:
- Place the flour, salt, and Tenderflake shortening in a large mixing bowl. Cut the shortening into the flour using a pastry cutter or two knives until it resembles course crumbs or is pea-sized.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg, white vinegar, and ice-cold water. Add this mixture to the flour and stir until the dough begins to come together. Be careful not to overmix. Form the pastry into a loose ball, cover it with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Creating the Flavourful Filling:
- Preheat a large frying pan, then add 1 tbsp of butter, sliced onions, and salt. Cover and cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onions caramelize.
- Stir in the thyme, Herbs de Provence, balsamic vinegar, and SaltSpring Kitchen Co. Onion & Thyme Savoury Spread. Cook for another minute. Set the mixture aside to cool.
Assembling and Baking:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough to about a 15" diameter. Carefully place the dough inside a removable tart pan or pie dish.
- Add a sheet of parchment paper onto the dough and fill it with pie weights (or dry beans) to prevent bubbling. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes. Remove the weights and parchment paper.
- Use a fork to poke the sides and bottom of the dough. Bake for another 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and let it cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, salt, and pepper. Add 1 cup of the reserved Gruyere and the cooled caramelized onion mixture. Stir well.
- Sprinkle the remaining Gruyere at the bottom of the pie shell and pour the egg mixture on top.
- Bake at 375°F for 20 minutes, then reduce the heat to 325°F for another 20 minutes, or until the quiche has puffed up slightly and is starting to turn golden brown.
- Allow the quiche to cool slightly before serving.
A Local Culinary Masterpiece
While our Onion Thyme Quiche is an uncomplicated dish, it's also a classic masterpiece crafted with love and local flavours. By creating this delightful quiche, you're supporting local producers and experiencing the joy of handcrafted culinary art. Perfect for brunch or picnics, this quiche is a testament to the art of cooking and the beauty of savouring local ingredients. Enjoy every bite and savour the taste of Salt Spring Island in each delicious forkful. Whether you're going traditional, gluten-free, or vegan, this quiche has a place on your plate.
Elevate Your Brunch with Onion Thyme Quiche, A French Classic with a Long Culinary History.