Flakey Gourmet Jam-Filled Pastries
A Nostalgic Culinary Experience, Elevated
Our take on the Pop-Tart! Try SaltSpring Kitchen Co.'s flakey gourmet jam-filled pastries. This recipe blends the simplicity of homemade pop-tart style treats, elevated with speciality jams and preserves. Join us for a fun and nostalgic culinary journey that pays homage to the diverse offerings of Salt Spring Island, letting you create scrumptious pastries right in your own kitchen.
While we'd love to call them "Pop-Tarts," that treat name has been trademarked since 1964. But don't worry. We've got something even better in store for you! You might love our version even more.
Did you hear about Unfrosted: The Pop-Tart Story?
It's a new comedy film coming out sometime soon. Directed, co-written, co-produced by, and starring Jerry Seinfeld. We spotted Melissa McCarthy's name on the jam-packed cast list, too. Watch for it on Netflix sometime this year or next.
These treats have become more than just breakfast - they're a slice of nostalgia and pop culture we all adore.
Did you know the name was a play on "Pop Art", a style of art popular in the UK and United States in the 50s and 60s, used widely in advertising and comic books? Join us as we whip up our twist on these classics, packed with artisanal jams and the warm comfort of homemade goodness.
Recipe: Flakey Gourmet Jam-Filled Pastries - Makes 12
Adapting to Your Preferences:
Substitute all-purpose flour with your preferred gluten-free flour blend for a gluten-free version. To create a vegan option, replace the egg wash with plant-based milk, and use the same milk for the icing. You could also use your favourite vegan pie crust recipe, or swap in a plant-based butter if Tenderflake vegan shortening isn't available in your area.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup Tenderflake shortening
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp ice-cold water
- Choose from SaltSpring Kitchen Co.'s gourmet jams; try Raspberry Habanero, Blueberry Basil, or Sour Cherry Rhubarb & Rosemary.
Egg Wash for a Golden Touch:
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 Tbsp water
Sweet Icing to Finish:
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 Tbsp whole milk
- Sprinkles for garnish and fun
Crafting Your Gourmet Jam-Filled Pastries:
- Begin by combining the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add the Tenderflake shortening and use a pastry cutter, a large box grater, or two knives to cut the shortening into the flour until it's pea-sized. If you're using a box grater, use the largest holes, then work the flour into it with your hands to coat it.
- Mix the white vinegar and ice-cold water in a small bowl. Gradually add this mixture to the flour, shaping the dough into a ball. Avoid over-mixing. If it seems a little dry, add a teaspoon or two of water to bring it together.
- Gently flatten the dough into a disk, wrap it, and refrigerate for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to ⅛-inch thickness. Cut out 3”x5” rectangles. Re-roll scraps to make 24 pieces.
- Lay 12 pieces on the parchment paper and spoon 2 tablespoons of your chosen SaltSpring Kitchen Co. jam onto each. Leave a ½-inch border.
- Brush edges with egg wash. Top with remaining dough rectangles and press edges to seal.
- Use a fork to seal the edges, and brush the tops with egg wash.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden. Transfer to a cooling rack.
Adding a Sweet Icing Finale:
- Combine confectioners' sugar with whole milk in a small bowl.
- Frost the cooled pastries using an offset spatula or a small spoon if you don't have an offset spatula.
- Top with sprinkles for a joyful finishing touch.
Embrace the Nostalgia.
Relive the joy of childhood (or last week's box; we're not judging) with every bite of these flakey gourmet jam-filled pastries. These treats capture the essence of nostalgia; by making them at home, you're making them even better. Perfect if you appreciate the simple joys and creative twists.