Double Candied Jalapeño & Cheese Cornbread
This cornbread is my favourite to serve alongside a hearty soup or chili on a crisp fall day. Be warned this makes a BIG loaf, so you may want to cut this in half if you are not feeding a crowd.
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- ¾ cup olive oil
- ½ jar of Candied Jalapeño Relish
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 2.5 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3.5 cups flour
- 3 tbsp. Baking powder
- 1.5 tsp. Salt
- 3 cups of frozen corn
- 3.5 shredded cheese (Cheddar or a mix)
- Saute onions in olive oil until onions are transparent. Place into a bowl and let cool. Add Candied Jalapeño Relish, buttermilk and eggs to the cooled mixture and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients - cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and mix gently. Fold in corn and half the shredded cheese. Grease a large cast-iron skillet, put the batter into the pan. Spread remaining cheese over batter and add Candied Jalapeños.
- Bake at 350 degrees until toothpick comes out clean, about one hour.
- Serve with your favourite hearty soups or chili.