Sweet And Spicy Baked Camembert
Baked cheese is always a party staple, and this one is as simple as they come. Using preserves as the main topping adds a load of sophistication and hardly any effort. Make sure the crackers you serve alongside are study and strong. The cheese melts well but the rind sometimes needs scrapping and the cheese is quite heavy, leaving flimsy crackers longing.
- 1 wheel camembert cheese
- 1/4 cup Raspberry & Habanero Spicy Pepper Spread
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- Place the camembert cheese in the center of a square of parchment paper a little larger than the round of cheese. Carefully make slices in the cheese, 3/4 of the way through and about 1/2 inch wide, making a grid pattern on the top, then pick up the cheese and bend the bottom gently allowing some space to open up between the slices. Place the cheese back on the parchment.
- In a small bowl whisk together the remaining ingredients. Spread the mixture on top of the cheese generously, tucking it down between the little squares. Place the parchment paper inside a small baking dish, or large ramekin that fits the cheese snugly. If baking two wheels together, a loaf tin works great.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes uncovered, until the cheese is soft and melted and the jam is caramelized. Serve immediately in the dish, or use the parchment to transfer the cheese to a larger plate with crackers or crostini for dipping.
- The cheese is best enjoyed as soon as it's made.