Red & Green Shakshuka
This simple hearty and incredible delicious breakfast is the best way to begin a weekend. Perfectly poached eggs in tomato sauce, tastily mopped up with sourdough bread. Does it get any better? The Spicy Tomato Savoury Spread adds so much flavour and complexity to the tomato sauce in one simple addition. The sweetness balancing the additional acidity from the cherry tomatoes and bitterness from the greens. The bitter greens add a layer of texture and complexity to this dish, making it unique, extra healthy. Soon it will be a weekend tradition!
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 stalks curly green kale
- 4 stalks swiss chard
- 2 Tbsp fresh chopped dill
- 2 tsp paprika
- ½ cup Spicy Tomato Savoury Spread
- 4 eggs
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and place the rack in the center of the oven.
- In a 12 inch frying pan that is ovenproof, add 2 Tbsp of olive oil and place over medium high heat. Sauté the onion and bell pepper for 2 – 3 minutes, until the onion is translucent, and the pepper is just starting to soften. Sprinkle with sea salt and stir until the vegetables start to sweat, one minute more. Add the minced garlic and tomatoes to the pan. Reduce heat to medium - low and cook for 5 minutes to allow the tomatoes soften and their juices start to release, stirring once or twice.
- While the tomatoes vegetables are cooking, remove the stalks from the leaves of both the kale and swiss chard. Thinly slice the swiss chard stalks, discard the kale stalks. Add the swiss chard stalks to the frying pan mixing to combine. Roughly chop the kale and swiss chard leaves. Place the greens in a small mixing bowl and drizzle with the remaining olive oil. Massage the oil into the greens until they are glossy, and set aside.
- Stir the tomato sauce well, the tomatoes will be soft and the mixture will be quite saucy and wet, stir in the fresh dill, paprika and Spicy Tomato Savoury Spread, mixing well to combine. Increase the heat to medium high and stirring constantly bring the mixture just to a boil for one minute, allowing the sauce to thicken slightly. Remove from heat. Stir in the greens until just combined. Make four small wells, equal distance apart in the tomato sauce. Crack an egg into each well and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Place the dish in the oven and bake for 12 minutes for soft poach and 15 for firmer yolks.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.
- The sauce can be made in advance and stored in the fridge for up to 4 days. Once the eggs have been added, it’s best enjoyed the day it’s made.