Sweet & Spicy Baked Queso w/ Easy Homemade Tortilla Chips
Impress your guests with this simple baked queso and homemade tortilla chips. Flash frying corn tortillas instantly crisps them up and makes them into sturdy chips, salted exactly the way you like them, and perfect for dunking into this hot cheesy dip. The sweetness of the pineapple mixed with the candied jalapenos and the heat of the turmeric and achiote is the perfect combination for this holiday treat.
- 10 corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup heat tolerant oil
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp grated white onion
- 1 8oz block of cream cheese
- 1/2 cup 35% cream
- 4 tbsp Pineapple + Turmeric + Achiote Hot Sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped Candied Jalapeños
- Cut the tortillas into quarters. Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed frying pan until a drop of water sizzles when sprinkled on top. Add in 3-4 tortilla quarters. Fry for 10-15 seconds, until they just start to crisp and puff, then using tongs, flip them over. Fry another 5-10 seconds and transfer to a wire baking rack and sprinkle with a little sea salt. Repeat with the remaining chips.
- Preheat the oven to 350°f
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, whip the cream cheese until smooth. Scrape down the bowl and add the onion, cream and hot sauce and continue to beat until smooth and no lumps remain. On slow speed, beat in the cheese and jalapeños.
- Transfer the cheese mixture to a small baking dish and bake for 25 minutes, stirring once around 10-15 minutes, until bubbling and slightly golden on top. Stir as soon as you remove it from the oven to allow the cheese to incorporate into the dip and melt fully.
- Serve immediately with homemade tortilla chips and some extra candied jalapeños for garnish.
- Cover any leftovers and store in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in a 350°f oven for 15 minutes.