A classic Canadian tradition made even more delicious with the addition of Winter Wonder Jam. Infusing traditional butter tarts with hints of strawberry, orange, and bourbon, then packing them full of dried cranberries and walnuts, there is little that is more festive than this!
If making pastry isn’t your favourite task, the filling first perfectly into store-bought pastry shells.
Makes 24 tarts
Tart Pastry Ingredients:
- 2 cups cake and pastry flour
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2/3 cup butter
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cold water
1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Winter Wonder Jam
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
For the pastry – Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl. Add the butter and using a pastry blender or two knives, cut the butter into the flour, mixing until the butter is the size of a pea. Add the sugar, mixing to combine, then pour the water over top of the flour mixture. Using your hands, gently mix the pastry together, pressing it into the bottom of the bowl It will take a few minutes to come together, but will form a loose ball.
- Spray a muffin tin or tart pan with non-stick spray. For extra security you can also line the tin with muffin wrappers.
- On a lightly floured countertop, roll about a quarter of the dough ¼ inch think. Using a large round cookie cutter, glass, or round lid of a food storage container, cut circles in the dough. Form the circles into the tart pan or muffin tin and repeat with the remaining pastry. If using only one pan, cut the first 12 tart shells, then repeat after the first batch has come out of the oven and the pan has cooled.
- For the filling – In a small pot over medium heat, melt the sugar, maple syrup and butter together, until a smooth mixture has formed, and the butter is melted. Set aside until just cool to the touch, then whisk in eggs, vinegar, and Winter Wonder Jam.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Divide the walnuts and cranberries between the tart shells, and then using a small ladle our scoop, pour in the butter tart mixture, until the walnuts and cranberries are covered. Be careful not to fill too full, the filling rises significantly and can easily spill over.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12 minutes, until the filling has risen, and the tart shells are deeply golden. Remove from oven, and immediately run a knife around the outside of the tarts, then let rest in the tin for 10 to 15 minutes before transferring to a wire baking rack to cool completely.
- Tarts will store in an airtight container for up to one week.