Filled with all the spices of winter, this simple punch can be made ahead, stored in the fridge and doled out in glasses or made in a big punch bowl for a festive crowd.
The richness of the jam, tart cranberry and sour cherry flavours are only enhanced by the flavour of the spices and freshness of the cider. If you're feeling adventurous use the ginger root cider or bitter orange rosemary cider from salt spring wild.
To serve for a crowd, make an ice ring to keep it chilled, filled with slice mandarin oranges and cranberries for an extra festive feel.
- 1 orange
- 1/2 cup Cranberry, Sour Cherry And Port Preserve
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 inch knob ginger, sliced
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 5 whole cloves
- 8 whole allspice
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1 cup cranberry juice
- 1 bottle salt spring wild sparkling cider or sparkling apple juice
- Using a peeler, peel the orange and add the strips of peel to a small pot. Add the preserve, brown sugar, ginger, spices and 1 cup water. Place on medium heat and stir to combine. Bring the syrup to a simmer and allow the sugar to dissolve. Remove from heat and let sit for 15 minutes for the spices to infuse.
- In a pitcher or liquid measuring cup add the lime juice and cranberry juice. Strain the syrup, adding it to the lime cranberry mixture, place in the fridge to chill until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, pour into a punch bowl, top with cider and serve.
- The syrup, cranberry, lime mixture can be stored together or separately in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks.