These vegan lettuce wraps are a crowd pleaser, the recipe is easily doubled, and they are best served family style. The tofu absorbs all the sweet spicy flavour from the Hot Mango Preserve and the Morita+Espresso+Chopotle Hot Sauce adds a smoky spicy to the mixture creating a perfect balance of flavours alongside the salty soy sauce. The tofu filling is packed with vegetables and the crunch of quick pickled veggies, adds texture, and a bright acidity to round out the dish.
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 radish
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp sea salt
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- 250g firm pressed tofu
- 1 red onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 bell peppers, red and yellow
- 1 medium carrot
- 2 Tbsp + 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- ½ cup Hot Mango Preserve
- 2 Tbsp Morita Espresso Chipotle Hot Sauce
- 2 green curly leaf kale stalks
- 1 large head of Boston lettuce
- To prepare the pickled vegetables, thinly slice one carrot, the radish and chop the celery. Whisk together the sugar, salt and vinegar together until dissolved. Add the vegetables to three separate small containers that just fit the vegetables. Divide the vinegar mixture evenly between the containers and top with water until the vegetables are just covered. Place in the fridge until ready to serve, at least 2 hours and up to overnight.
- Prepare a plate with paper towel. Drain the tofu and place on the prepared plate. Place another plate on top and place a can of beans or something heavy on the plate to weight it down, extracting any extra water from the tofu. Set aside while you prepare the vegetables. Dice the onion, garlic, peppers and carrot. Remove the kale from the stalk and finely chop the leaves. Add to a small bowl and drizzle with 2 tsp of olive oil. Massage the oil into the kale so it turns glossy green and set aside.
- Place a large frying pan over medium heat and add 2 Tbsp of olive oil. Add in the carrot, onion and garlic, sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, until just starting to sweat then sprinkle with sea salt and continue to cook 1 minute, then add the peppers to the pan and cook until the peppers are just softening, and the onions are starting to caramelize. Take the drained tofu and roughly chop, then using your hands crumble the tofu into the frying pan. Mix the tofu and vegetables well together, then add the soy sauce, the hot mango preserve, and hot sauce. Stir to combine, mixing the sauces well with the tofu. Continue mixing while the tofu mixture cooks for another 5 minutes. The tofu will start to brown and will absorb all the sauces. Remove from heat and mix in the kale, so it’s evenly distributed in the tofu filling. Transfer to a serving bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Carefully remove the leaves from the head of lettuce, keeping them whole. Rinse and gently dry, then place on a serving platter. Remove the pickled vegetables from the fridge, drain most of the liquid off and place in small serving bowls. Serve family style or place a few tablespoons of tofu filling in a lettuce leaf, top with pickled vegetables and enjoy!
- The tofu filling will keep in an airtight container for up to one week in the fridge. The pickled vegetables will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for up to two weeks. Once the wraps are assembled, they are best enjoyed immediately.