A simple, elegant summer dessert, these mini pavlovas are always a crowd pleaser. The meringue keeps very well in the freezer, to pull out when needed if company arrives. Top with cream and fresh berries. The sparkling apricot pink peppercorn spread sweetens the coconut whip, so no sugar is added, the spread ties the flavours together perfectly.
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup Sparkling Apricot Pink Peppercorn Spread, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups fresh berries and stone fruit
- Place the can of coconut cream in the fridge along with a mixing bowl and whisk.
- In a small bowl whisk together sugar, cornstarch and cream of tartar until fully combined.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or large mixing bowl, using hand-held beaters, beat the egg whites, starting on low speed and slowly increasing to medium-high. When peaks start to form, slowly pour in the sugar and cornstarch mixture as you continue to beat. After all the sugar mixture is added, increase the speed to high and whip for 2–3 minutes. Squish some meringue between your fingers. If it feels grainy, it’s not quite ready. Beat for 1 minute more at a time, checking after each minute. When the sugar has dissolved, the mixture will feel smooth and have stiff glossy peaks.
- Preheat the oven to 300°f (275°f in a hot dry climate or summer). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spoon tennis ball–sized dollops of meringue onto the parchment, 1 to 2 inches apart. Using a spoon make a small indent in the centre, building up the sides of the meringue.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 250°f without opening the door. Bake an additional 15 to 20 minutes until puffed, just golden on top, and slightly cracked. Turn the oven off and leave the meringues there for 15 minutes. Crack the door open 2–3 inches and let sit for 25 minutes. Gently transfer to a wire rack and let cool to room temperature. At this point the meringues can be frozen in an airtight container, if desired.
- Remove the coconut cream from the fridge and using the cold whisk, whisk until fluffy and doubled in size. Add in the jam and sea salt and using a spatula mix together. Dollop coconut cream into the centre of the mini pavlovas and top with berries and stone fruit. Garnish with an extra dollop of Sparkling Apricot & Pink Peppercorn Spread.