This mini burger has the meatiness of a beef burger, without the meat. Packed with flavour from roasted mushrooms and charcuterie mustard, these gluten-free, vegan burgers are great to serve to meat lovers and vegans alike.
- 1/2 lb button mushrooms
- 1 small onion
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 (14 oz) can black beans
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp Charcuterie Mustard
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 8 slider buns
- 2 small tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Charcuterie Mustard
- 8 bread and butter pickles
- 8 lettuce leaves
- 8 gherkin pickles for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°f.
- Place one rack in the top third of the oven and one in the bottom third. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- To make the sliders, chop the mushrooms and onion. Spread both in an even layer on one baking sheet and sprinkle the sea salt overtop. Rinse and drain the black beans and spread in an even layer on the second baking sheet. Place both baking sheets in the oven and roast for 15 minutes. Leaving the oven on, remove sheets from the oven. Drain off any liquid that has collected on the mushroom baking sheet, and let the mushrooms, onions and black beans cool until just warm to touch. Transfer mushrooms to a blender. Add the oats, mustard, chili powder, cumin and black pepper. Pulse once or twice to mix then add the black beans and blend to form a thick, creamy paste. Transfer to a mixing bowl and fold a few times with a spatula to ensure the mixture is evenly incorporated.
- Onto a parchment-covered baking sheet, scoop the mixture into 8 small patties, about 2 inches in diameter ¾-inch thick. Spread them a bit with a spoon until they are in a flat patty shape. Drizzle the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil over top. Bake for 15 minutes until well browned and still soft but easily held together.
- To assemble, slice and toast the slider buns. Slice the tomato. Spread the bottom bun with Charcuterie Mustard and top with a bread and butter pickle, add patty, then top with tomato, lettuce and top bun. Garnish with a gherkin pickle if desired.
- Serve immediately once assembled.
- These patties freeze very well once cooked. They can be grilled, baked or pan fried to be reheated. They will keep in the freezer in an airtight container for up to 3 months.